West Palm Beach, Florida (March 9, 2009) – St. Mary’s Medical Center has announced that Dr. Ali R. Malek, Interventional Neurologist, has been selected as a Top Physician by South Florida Hospital News.
Triple Board Certified in neurology, neurocritical care and vascular neurology, Dr. Malek formerly practiced at Tampa General Hospital where he was the director of their Neurosciences ICU for the last five years. He also served as faculty in the Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery with the University of South Florida.
As an Interventional Neurologist at St. Mary’s, Dr. Malek will provide services such as:
· Acute Stroke Interventions including Intraarterial thrombolysis, Thrombectomy with the MERCI and Penumbra systems
· Angioplasty and stenting of intra and extracranial cerebral vessels for the prevention and treatment of Stroke including Carotid stenting with distal protection.
· Coil embolization of cerebral aneurysms – both elective and ruptured
· Embolization of AVMs, AVFs and other cerebrovascular abnormalities
· Diagnostic Cerebral and Spinal angiography
· Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty for the treatment of compression fractures
Dr. Malek attended the University of South Florida (USF) for his undergraduate and master’s work. He completed his neurology residency at USF and was chief resident in his final year. He has completed fellowships in vascular and critical care neurology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and in endovascular neurosurgery at Providence Hospital in Michigan.
Dr. Malek has been involved in many professional and community organizations throughout his career. He was the former Vice President of the American Heart Association – Florida/Puerto Rico Affiliate and served on the Board of Directors of the Florida Society of Neurology. Additionally, Dr. Malek was Chairman of the LifeLink Advisory Board. LifeLink is a not-for-profit community service organization dedicated to the recovery of organs and tissue for transplant.