The Memory Disorder Center at St. Mary's is one of 15 state designated and funded by the State of Florida Department of Elder Affairs as a part of the ADI program. It is the only one in Palm Beach County in a medical facility. The Center serves as a diagnostic, treatment and referral center for individuals who are experiencing changes in their memory and/or other cognitive functions, which may be affecting their daily lives.
STEPS TO MANAGING A MEMORY DISORDER
1. Recognizing a Memory Problem
Some slowing of thought processes and mild memory lapses may come with aging. When it becomes progressively worse and interferes with daily life, such as loss of interest in usual activities, personality changes, and difficulty performing daily tasks, the need for a medical evaluation is indicated.
Conditions that may cause memory loss include:
- Adverse medication effects
- Thyroid or Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Other neurological diseases
2. A Comprehensive Evaluation With Our Team of Experts
Our multidisciplinary team of professionals consists of experts from various fields of expertise. They work together to assess and treat the cause of each individual’s memory concerns.
Our team members include:
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Other medical personnel (as necessary)
3. Treatment Planning and Follow-up care
Our multi-disciplinary team then reviews the findings of the memory loss evaluation and compiles a diagnosis and possible treatment options. Upon completion of the diagnostic process, the team meets with the family and patient to discuss the findings and conclusions.
In order to ensure we provide the best care to our patients, we offer a multitude of services within our memory disorder center.
Our services include:
- Counseling and Education
- Assistance in Planning for the Future
- Caregiver Support and Education
- Early Stage Support Groups
- Caregiver Training Class
- Community Resource Referrals
- Access to the Newest Research Studies
- Community Education
- Free Memory Screenings
Working closely with the primary care physician, treatment is commenced and follow-up visits are arranged to evaluate progress and review treatment. Memory loss disorders are an ongoing obstacle, which is why St. Mary’s Memory Disorder Center is committed to giving our patients comprehensive evaluations, lifestyle management tools and support to help them carry out their daily lives.
These classes are targeted to those with early stage memory loss and to the caregivers of the ones diagnosed with a memory loss disorder.
Each class, taught by a trained instructor, will consist of:
- Specific brain exercises to help with brain function.
- Tools for organizing information and daily activities.
- Strategies to improve communication and support.
- Opportunities to learn and meet others dealing with memory issues.
For more information, please call 561-882-6363.
For More Information or to Schedule an Appointment, call 561-882-6363.
Advanced Neuroscience Network (ANN) is an integrated delivery system of medical professionals and hospitals focused on offering a full continuum of neurological care throughout South Florida. Visit www.advancedneuronetwork.com to learn more.