St. Mary's has been committed to the care of the injured patient since its beginning.
Watch Our Video >>
Since 1991, St. Mary's Medical Center has served as a Florida Department of Health Level II Trauma Center, a state-designated Pediatric Trauma Referral Center and a state-designated Brain and Spinal Cord Acute Care Injury Center. Trauma patients at St. Mary’s Medical Center are treated by our team of in-house Trauma professionals dedicated to providing comprehensive Trauma care 24-hours per day.
With more than 20 years of experience as a trauma center, St. Mary's has brought together experts in nursing, trauma surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery and other specialties to manage the most complicated injuries.
There are three pillars on which St. Mary’s Medical Center stand as a Trauma Center:
- Outstanding, dedicated medical staff, nursing professionals and ancillary medical personnel who provide 24-hour care to our trauma patients
- Excellent trauma education for healthcare providers as well as for the community
- Superior prevention strategies and programs
St. Mary’s takes pride in its Trauma After-Care Clinic, providing specialized care with a dedicated team of trauma surgeons, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses. The patients are followed in the Trauma Clinic until they reach maximum medical improvement, and are released from care by the Trauma Surgeon.
Education and Prevention
Education and injury prevention is a vital part of the trauma program at St. Mary’s Medical Center. The hospital devotes a significant amount of time to promoting public safety and trauma awareness in the community. Programs include:
- Trauma Prevention Program
- Shattered Dreams- a pre-prom program aimed at area high schools, which is now accepted on the Palm Beach County School Board-approved curriculum. This spectacular event targets thousands of pre-prom teenagers each year. The event is a coordinated multidisciplinary team approach with fire rescue, Trauma Hawk, law enforcement, and the state attorney's office.
- The Palm Beach County Safe Kids Coalition - this organization sponsors the “Risk Watch Program” in area elementary schools, which focuses on eight avenues of injury prevention. Other programs include Walk Your Kids to School, Bicycle Safety and Use Your Head to Protect Your Brain and Body (for middle school students).
- Concussion and Youth Sports - a program for athletic directors/coaches, parents and students about raising awareness of concussion injuries in young athletes.
- Fall Prevention Awareness for Seniors - this program raises awareness and teaches seniors how to have a safe home and avoid injury.
- Be Water Smart - Did you know that in Palm Beach County children's ages 1-4 have the highest rate of drowning? Call 561-841-KIDS to receive a free resource guide to help keep your chidren safe or go to www.pbcgov.org/dpc for more information.