2021 Patient Outcomes
Rehabilitation Institute at St. Mary’s Medical Center
In 2021, the Rehabilitation Institute at St. Mary's Medical Center treated 449 patients.
Patients were treated for:
- Stroke (30%)
- Brain injury (16%)
- Spinal cord injury (9%)
- Neurological problem (5%)
- Amputation of the lower part of the body (2%)
- General rehab and complex problems (10%)
Patient outcomes are affected by many factors, including severity of injury, previous health status, medical problems, and support systems. The hospital stay is based on the specific needs of the patient and some patient may stay a longer or shorter amount of time.
2021 Patient Outcome Averages:
- Returned home or to the community after discharge from the rehab program:
- Hospital stay:
- 14 days
- Therapy per day:
- 140 minutes
- Transferred for medically complex care to the acute care hospital setting:
- Patients' average age:
- 59 years old
- Average age of children treated was 16 years old
- Patient Deaths:
2021 Program Outcomes by Condition
|Stroke||Brain Injury||Spinal Cord Injury||Ortho||Neuro||General Rehab/Medical||Amputation, Lower Extremity*||Adolescents*||All Conditions|
|Number of Patients Treated||135||74||39||134||24||43||9||17||449|
|Patients Returned Home or Community after Discharge from Rehab Program||76%||80%||64%||86%||71%||77%||44%||94%||78%|
|Average Days of Rehab Hospital Stay||15||12||18||12||16||12||16||10||14|
|Average Hours of Therapy per Day||3.40||3.32||3.07||3.20||3.13||3.07||3.06||3.36||3.26|
|Patient's Average Age||67||55||56||57||54||54||57||16||59|
|Patients Transferred for Medically Complex Care to Acute Care Hospital||6%||11%||15%||7%||13%||14%||44%||6%||9%|
|Source: eRehabdata TM|
*Amputations, Adolescents are solely represented in the respective column
Our Patient Satisfaction
RIM uses feedback from patients after discharge to improve programs. Our patients were very satisfied in 2021. This was same or better than other similar rehab hospitals in the nation. We work to improved in areas where our patients are not very satisfied.
- Patients treated for a stroke report being very satisfied after discharge.
- Patients treated for an amputation report being very satisfied after discharge.
- Patients treated for a spinal cord injury report being very satisfied after discharge.
- Patients treated for a brain injury report being very satisfied after discharge.
- Overall in 2021, patients with any condition report being very satisfied after discharge.